Camping activities at night can be just as exciting and fun as they are during the day. The camping adventure doesn’t have to end just because the sun went down. When night falls, and the campground becomes dark, you don’t necessarily have to be cooped up in your tent till morning. There are plenty of fun activities you can do during the night to make your camping trip memorable and entertaining.
Camping is an excellent way to spend quality time with your family and friends while getting away from the daily grind of life. Besides, the blazing campfire and twinkling stars overhead make the campsite a lot more exciting at night.
The best thing about nighttime camping activities is that they are suitable for people of all ages. Whether it’s an elderly person who enjoys looking into the flames of a bonfire or a youngster who is thrilled about the fact that it’s his first time sleeping outside, there’s plenty to do no matter who you are. There are several fun tent camping activities that can keep both children and adults engaged throughout the night.
6 Fun Activities to Do at Night When Tent Camping
If you want to take your nighttime camping experience to the next level, here is a list of 8 fun activities to do at night when tent camping.
1. Nighttime Walks
Rather than sitting inside your tent, you can roam around nearby paths or even go for a night hike. However, it’s advisable to go for night treks on familiar trails. If the sky is clear and the moon is visible, your eyes will quickly adjust to the darkness.
Besides, night hiking is spectacular with a full moon. Also, exploring the campsite can be an excellent idea in case there are no familiar trails available or the moon isn’t bright enough for the trail. Having a decent light source is very important as well, especially if you’re hiking in unfamiliar territory.
So, don’t forget to bring lanterns, headlights, and flashlights. Hiking at night can be intimidating, but going with a group of friends will make the experience more fun and safe. Another great advantage of a night hike is that you may get the chance to hear the rustling of some nearby nocturnal creatures like owls, foxes, or coyotes.
2. Playing Games
After enjoying a full day of activities like hiking, swimming, or backpacking, playing fun camping games is a great way to wind down and relish the rest of the night inside of your tent. Here are a few games you can play at night when tent camping.
- Board games: Board games are an excellent option if you want to stay inside your tent while also engaging in some fun activities. A deck of cards or travel-sized board games can be ideal for tent camping. Cards are very lightweight and you can easily slip them inside of your backpack. There are plenty of games you can play with a normal deck of cards. However, do make sure to be mindful when playing board games outdoors.
- Scavenger hunt: Scavenger hunts become more fun when done as a nighttime camping activity. Make everyone wait in the tent while you go around the campsite and hide various objects or rewards. Give enough clues and make sure the items can be found easily with flashlights.
- Flashlight hide and seek: Grab your flashlights and head to an open area near your campground to play hide and seek. The game is pretty easy and the person designated as “it” would search for the members who have hidden around the campsite. However, to ensure everyone’s safety, it’s essential to select a safe open area with fewer obstacles to run around.
3. Nighttime Swimming
Setting up your tent near a water source is always preferable for many different reasons. So, if there’s a pond or lake near your campsite, grab a few towels, flashlights, and head to the lakeside for a quick night swim. Besides, after a hot day, there is something soothing and refreshing about swimming in the lake under the bright starry sky. The feel of midnight swimming is considerably different from daytime swimming. However, if you bring your kids along with you, then make sure they’re on the edge of the water, so you can supervise them properly.
To enjoy the night while camping, it is not always necessary to engage in physical activities. If you’re opting for a relaxing midnight activity while camping, nothing can beat stargazing. To make the best out of your stargazing experience, don’t forget to bring a telescope. You can also lie under the open sky and enjoy the view of the stars. Since many campsites are located far away from the city lights, you should be able to see more stars than usual. It is an activity that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults.
5. Build a Campfire
Building a campfire is the most exciting thing to do at night while camping. The campfire is a fantastic place to gather around at night and simply interact with one another. Sitting around a warm cozy fire until the late hours of the night is a great bonding experience. However, before building a campfire, make sure your campsite has a permit for that. Here are some of the things you can do around a campfire.
- Telling stories: Telling ghost stories over a campfire has become a tradition. Although it doesn’t have to be only ghost stories, you can also tell funny or embarrassing stories from your childhood as well. Sharing stories and making humorous jokes while enjoying the warmth of a bonfire is an excellent way to spend your night when tent camping.
- Playing songs: Campfire and songs are two things that go hand in hand. Singing songs around a campfire is a fantastic way to engage with everyone. Bring your favorite instruments, such as guitars, ukuleles, and harmonicas, and start playing your favorite songs. You’ll have a concert-like atmosphere around your campfire.
- Charades or mouth games: You can also select a game that does not require any setup and can be played while sitting around the campfire. Playing games around the campfire is a nice way to end the day. Some easy game ideas for people of all ages include charades, alphabet games, truth or dare, would you rather, etc.
One of the nicest parts about camping is that you can cook delicious food right over the fire. You don’t have to quit snacking just because you’re done with your meals. Some food just tastes better at night. Smores are the perfect camp treat. And making smores is pretty easy; just skewer some marshmallows, chocolate bars, and crackers into a stick and roast it over a campfire. Then enjoy your smores while sitting beside the campfire.
That was all of our recommendations for fun activities you can do at night when tent camping. And, with all of these exciting and fun activities, you may find your camping trip is the most enjoyable when the sun goes down. If you’re camping for a few nights, try to do something different each night. To conclude, no matter what nighttime camping activities you have planned for your trip, be respectful to your fellow campers and abide by the campground rules so that everyone can enjoy their camping trip to the fullest.
William Arrovo seeks thrills and laughter in everything he comes across. He is a fun loving person with a zest of exploring the breathtaking places around the globe. He feels content in sharing his experiences of travelling to various countries. He is grateful about enriching himself with a myriad of cultures and rejuvenating his soul while staying outdoors.