Many campers prefer a hammock for a good night’s sleep, as it’s a great way to relax and rest in the great outdoor. Sleeping in a hammock is quite comforting, but most people sleep in hammocks on their backs. So what if you’ve always slept on your side and are unable to sleep in any other position? Does that mean you won’t get any good sleep throughout your camping trip?
Different people have different sleeping postures; while some prefer sleeping on their backs because they can’t sleep any other way, others prefer to sleep on their sides or even roll flat onto their stomachs. Undoubtedly people who sleep on their side have a hard time sleeping comfortably in a hammock. While many people assume that sleeping on your side in a hammock is difficult, there are various hammocks and techniques available that will help you fall asleep much easier. For example, you can go for the bridge hammock, that’s the go-to option for side sleepers. Place a stuff bag or a cushion between your knees, neck, or side for extra comfort. Hence, before jumping into the list of best hammocks for side sleepers, let’s check out some aspects you need to consider while buying hammocks.
For side sleepers, the camping hammock should be durable and made of high-quality materials. When assessing the durability, do look into the fabric thickness, the existence of ripstop materials, and the redundancy of stitching in both the fabric and the suspension. You can look for the hammock made with nylon. Even if a camping hammock is ideal for sleeping on your side, it will be useless if it is unable to hold your weight or is quickly broken.
The most important feature of a hammock is, without a doubt, its comfort. If you can’t feel comfortable or have a decent night’s sleep, why are you even in that stretch of fabric dangling over the ground? When you don’t want to sleep on your side uncomfortably, a hammock with a spreader bar comes in handy. Check to see if the hammock comes with a spreader bar or if one can be purchased separately and attached to your new camping hammock.
Ease Of Setup
Even if you bought a perfect bridge hammock, you could not make the best use out of it without setting it up properly. Hammock with a suspension system makes the setup pretty easy. You can simply wrap the suspension around a tree and fasten a carabiner to a loop for setup. Also, you can also get hammocks with built-in ridgelines; you would be able to hang your hammock uniformly.
Our Top 6 Picks for the Best Camping Hammock for Side Sleepers
Here are our top picks for the best camping hammock for side sleepers that you can find in the market right now.
1. Lawson Blue Ridge Camping Hammock
If you’re looking for a high-quality, lay-flat hammock that will let you have blissful nights, sleep while camping, then the Lawson Blue Ridge Camping Hammock is the one for you. The Lawson Blue Ridge, while being quite small, is by far the most comfortable option for side sleepers.
- When you’re lying at an angle, the spreader bars keep the hammock nice and level. So there’s no sag in the center of the hammock. In Lawson Blue Ridge Camping Hammock, you can easily rest on your side without tossing and turning.
- Even if you don’t find any suitable trees for hanging your hammock, the Lawson Blue Ridge is pretty versatile as you can use this as both a hammock and a tent. You can pitch this on the ground, and it will be like a small bivy tent.
- The Lawson Blue Ridge hammock includes two arching poles for installing any mosquito netting or rain fly. The arching poles are connected at both ends and raise the top of the hammock like an extended dome tent, allowing you to sit up and effortlessly wander around.
- Talking about its build quality, the Lawson Blue Ridge Camping Hammock is made with high-quality waterproof ripstop nylon and polyester. The rock-solid hammock includes strong spreader bars and shock-corded aluminum arch poles.
- This Lawson Blue Ridge hammock is pretty light, portable, and easy to set up. It’s ideal for all sorts of camping or anybody searching for a comfy, bug- and water-proof spot to rest or sleep.
Strong, reliable spreader bar.
It can be used as both tent and a hammock.
Feature a shock-corded aluminum arch pole.
Easy installation of mosquito net or rain-fly.
Easy set up.
Lightweight and portable.
Suspension straps are not included.
The Lawson Blue Ridge Camping Hammock is equipped with an excellent lay-flat design, so you won’t find any difficulties sleeping on your side, even with the small length. A lay flat hammock like this is quite comfortable for those who want to sleep somewhat on their sides or even on their stomachs.
2. Ridge Outdoors Pinnacle 180 Hammock
If you’re looking for a hammock with a lay-flat design and reasonable price, then the Ridge Outdoors Pinnacle 180 Hammock is the one for you. Despite its reasonable price, the Pinnacle 180 has everything you need for a comfortable night’s sleep on your side.
- The cloth of the hammock is pretty lean and offers an outstanding diagonal flat-lay. It also comes with a non-removable mosquito net with a zipper on the other side of the hammock.
- This Pinnacle hammock is made with a luxurious Dynalon ripstop which is softer, sturdy, and more comfortable than nylon. Along with a great length and semi flat-lay shape, it has a built-in ridgeline for constant hanging. So you can rehang your hammock with ease.
- The Ridge Outdoors Pinnacle 180 Hammock includes suspension straps, a non-removable bug net, tie-outs on both sides, 4 plastic connections on both ends for usage under a blanket, zippered access on both sides, integrated stuff-sack, and a handful of mesh storage pockets for small items
- This hammock is pretty lightweight and spacious. This hammock is only 28 ounces in weight and can hold up to 400 pounds. The Ridge Outdoors Pinnacle 180 Hammock comes with a suspension that’s knot-free, tree-friendly, and takes only one minute to assemble.
11′ foot length is great for tall users.
The mosquito net comes with a smooth zipper.
Includes a convenient mesh ridgeline organizer.
The suspension is tree-friendly.
The suspension includes daisy-chain webbing and aluminum carabiners.
Built with a luxurious Dynalon ripstop.
Structural ridgeline is a paracord that can stretch over time
The Ridge Outdoors Pinnacle 180 Hammock is perhaps the best hammock for the money on the market. It allows you to lay diagonally at any angle, and the extra foot of length makes all the difference, especially for the slide sleepers.
3. Tentsile UNA Tree Hammock
The Tentsile UNA Tree Hammock is ultra-lightweight that provides you with a whole new level of adaptability, comfort, and connection to the environment. This hammock is quite similar to the Lawson Blue Ridge Camping Hammock. Hence the design of the Tentsile UNA Tree Hammock prioritizes sleep comfort, especially for side sleepers.
- The Tentsile UNA Tree Hammock has a double-layered, tensioned floor for a sturdy surface that allows you to sleep on your side comfortably. Due to its double-layered, tensioned floor, you get enough room for an air mattress to be slipped in for additional comfort and warmth.
- This Tentsile UNA Tree Hammock has a huge hammock bed with mesh pockets on each side, a complete no-see-um bug mesh top, a fold-away door, and a fully detachable rainfly. Moreover, you can pin down the rainfly or fasten it with branches to cover the ground.
- This UNA hammock features a 2,500 Hydrostatic Head rainfly made of 20D coated nylon-polyester composite cloth. The rainfly expands outwards from the tent, allowing you to store stuff. There’s no need to find level ground because the hammock is hung off the ground between three anchor points.
- It comes with a compression stuff sack or dry bag. Once you’re done using the hammock, you can easily pack it up. Unlike those traditional hammocks, it combines some of the best features of both hammock and tent.
Includes a double-layered floor.
Extra footwall space.
Single pole design
Built with 240D nylon-polyester composite.
Includes a no-see-um mesh.
It takes time to set up.
Tentsile’s hammocks are designed to be comfortable for all sleepers and positions, so they can accommodate more than one person while still being suited for side sleeping.
Along with a single-pole structure and smaller ratchet size, you can sleep on this hammock in the most comfortable way possible outside.
4. HongXingHai 3-in-1 Hammock
The next one is HongXingHai 3-in-1 Hammock. This camping hammock comes with a built-in rainfly that provides rain and wind protection. It’s also pretty spacious and ideal for side sleepers.
- The HongXingHai 3-in-1 Hammock comes with a bug net that keeps you safe from mosquitos and insects while you sleep. Moreover, There’s no need to worry about the hammock rolling over because it’s made of sturdy rope and aluminum alloy studs.
- This HongXingHai 3-in-1 Hammock is pretty lightweight and compact. The hammock is only 3.5 pounds in weight, with a maximum weight capacity of 440 pounds. It also comes with a storage bag, so you can easily carry it with you.
- This hammock is multipurpose, you can use this as a hammock, a tent, a sleeping bed, or a baby swing. The hammock comes with a hook holder and adjustable tree straps that make it simple to set up, requiring only two trees or two solid stakes. There are 7.9 inches of space between the hammock and outer tent.
Includes a built-in rainfly.
Lightweight and portable.
Maximum weight capacity.
Includes a storage bag.
Easy to set up.
The netting is very flimsy and tearable.
All in all this feature-packed HongXingHai 3-in-1 Hammock is a pretty comfortable option for side sleepers. The rain tarp of this hammock holds up nicely in rain, the straps are strong, neatly sewn, and setup is also pretty easy. The poles that hold the net in place make the hammock feel even more spacious and inviting.
5. Tentsile T-Mini Tensioned Double Hammock
Another excellent option that you might want to consider is the Tentsile T-Mini. This is a tensioned hammock with three anchor points rather than the standard two. Its triangular design makes it pretty unique.
- Whether you sleep on your front, back, or side, the Tentsile T-Mini Double 2-Person Hammock comes with a revolutionary 3-point anchor system. This gives a taut and tensioned foundation to the hammock giving you the most comfortable night’s sleep outdoor.
- The Tentsile T-Mini Tensioned Double Hammock comes with a weight capacity of 200kg. It features a revolutionary anti-roll strap system that reinforces each hammock. This system prevents you from rolling to the center of the hammock.
- There’s no need to locate flat ground because the hammock is hung off the ground between three anchor points. It’s lightweight, portable and you can fold it into a compression stuff bag.
Three point anchor system
No sag on the center of the hammock.
Good weight capacity.
Anti-roll strap system.
Sturdy and reliable construction.
This hammock doesn’t roll you up into a cocoon
This hammock takes time to set up.
This Tentsile T-Mini is a form of a flat hammock. This type of arrangement offers additional tension, making it ideal for individuals who want to roll onto their side or sleep on their stomach. With a flat surface like this, you would become more comfortable with the hammock’s sides. This Tentsile T-Mini is built with nylon, so it’s a quite durable option as well.
6. Sunyear Single & Double Camping Hammock
The last product on this list is the Sunyear Single and Double Camping Hammock. It is is a small and lightweight parachute hammock that comes with all of the essential installation equipment in an exquisite backpack.
This Sunyear Single & Double Camping Hammock is built of high-quality parachute nylon materials, which makes it extremely long-lasting. You also get 2*16.4ft net ropes that are included with this camping hammock. You may create your own customized net based on the amount of room you have.
- The adjustable hammock straps are ideal for most tree distances. It’s ideal for trekking and backpacking because it’s small and light. You can twist this hammock and change it into a day bed to rest due to its reversible construction.
- The Sunyear Single & Double Camping Hammock comes with a mosquito net. This netting protects you from all of the nasty crawlies, making your camping stay more pleasant and safe.
- The Sunyear Single & Double Camping Hammock can accommodate even the most demanding camping demands, with a maximum capacity of 500 pounds.
This hammock can withstand up to 500 pounds of weight.
Made with high quality 210T parachute nylon materials
The net is durable and denser.
Lightweight and portable.
Ultra Light & heavy-duty carabiners
This Sunyear Single & Double side sleeping hammock is not only comfortable for side sleepers, but it also protects you from mosquito bites. Moreover, the net that comes with the hammock is pretty dense. Hence this durable and comfortable hammock might be everything you’re looking for.
Frequently Asked Question
Q: What is the best hammock for side sleepers?
The bridge hammock is the best one for side sleepers. Compared to other hammocks, their shape and design allow you to sleep peacefully on your side because they don’t wrap around your body. A bridge hammock includes sturdy spreader bars and plenty of room for side sleepers.
Q: What’s the difference between a bridge hammock and a traditional hammock?
The cloth that gathers up at one end distinguishes traditional hammocks. When you hang the traditional hammock, they create a sag in the middle. This sag in the middle is what makes the traditional hammock not suitable for side sleepers.
On the other hand, the bridge hammock comes with a spreader bar on each end that’s made with wood or metal. This spreader bar keeps the center part of the hammock fabric as taut as possible. Bridge hammocks have almost no sag.
Q: Is a bridge hammock good for sleeping in the fetal position?
A bridge hammock is not a great option while sleeping in a fetal position. Rather than a bridge hammock, the traditional hammock is far better for the fetal position.
Q: How do you stop your hammock from swinging?
You can use a shock rope to tie the hammock’s backside, it will prevent your hammock from swinging. Add enough tension to pull the hammock back slightly while hanging.
So there goes everything you need to know about camping hammocks for side sleepers. Now that you’ve seen what features the finest camping hammock for stomach and side sleepers should have, you will be able to make a uniform decision for yourself now. You don’t have to avoid hammock camping just because you’re a side sleeper. The alternatives listed above are good enough to accommodate side sleepers and are among the best camping hammock options.
Robert Coleman, in one word is a multitasker. He enthusiastically works as an outdoor guide. He also has led large groups for backpacking at Bogota in Columbia. Hours of research and field experiences have helped him to stand as one of the best professional reviewers for anything related to outdoors. He improvises in using the right tool rather than packing tons of unnecessary things while outdoors.